Sunday 2 June 2013

Rebecca

(This contains more spoilers than usual, especially one in big capital letters which you might be best to avoid...)

This is the first novel I have read recently that I have 'devoured' even if the beginning dream sequence at a deserted Manderley did little to excite me, though I do think my delight in romances  helped. However, even for someone who enjoys a soppy old romance, I was torn in two by the character of Maxim.

The similarities with Jane Eyre are obvious, but I so much preferred Mr Rochester to Maxim. I think this is because Rochester is so attentive to Jane and you can understand his disdain for his wife, whereas Maxim is really distant and, in case anybody didn't notice, he KILLED his wife. It frustrated me how little weight was given to this horrifying fact and yet that is part of the author's technique. The idea of being compared to Rebecca has pervaded the narrator's life and tormented her so much, that to find out Maxim did not care for her is a huge relief, even, you know, if he happens to be a MURDERER!!! I suppose in order to translate the horror/shock of the attempted bigamy in Jane Eyre, for a more modern audience, Daphne du Maurier chose murder. 

There is some suspense throughout the book, the most creepy being an incident in Rebecca's preserved bedroom. The underwear that is still laid out on the bed, and the touching of her old clothes comes across as rather perverse. It was not pleasant, but that improved the novel by giving it this underlying unease. 

I was more than a little frustrated by the naivety of the narrator: it did not take me long to realise Rebecca's real character whereas it took her practically the whole book. Maybe this is intentional as it shows the reader how Rebecca's cruelty is outliving her death. However, in terms of character development, I found her a little annoying. The lack of a name is interesting too, much like 'Curley's wife' in 'Of Mice and Men' it emphasises her insignificance. In this case, the prominence of Rebecca, particularly her initials and her first name, contrast with the lack of a name, to show the feeling that she is simply inadequately replacing the previous Mrs de Winter. 

I would highly recommend this novel as it is really different to other books I have read. I would also recommend the film by Alfred Hitchcock, in which Laurence Olivier manages to soften out the faults of Maxim that I disliked originally (probably simply with that ridiculously cute moustache). 

No comments:

Post a Comment